Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What is sarcasm?

If there is something Sheldon Cooper also struggles with comprehending it is sarcasm. So today I am going to throw some light on what exactly is sarcasm. It is a way of showing your annoyance or disagreement without actually saying it. But beware it is not everyone's cup of tea. Those who get it are snooty and those who don't really shouldn't bother. Well to say the least, sarcasm is a gift. A gift for those who know how to make full use of it and an unwanted gift for those who are at the receiving end.

To be honest, I am often accused of being sarcastic but I blame that mostly on my allergy to stupid. Also it is my way of helping people be better or do better in life by subtly mentioning things which can annoy others (mostly me). I sometimes also use sarcasm to compliment (I call that an art).

So when I say "you are such an ass" isn't always meant in a derogatory tone but as a compliment that you are a hard worker (like an ass) but are not appreciated for your efforts, so I tell you. Another example is if I refer to someone as "Einstein", what I actually mean is that person's intellect never grew after the Einstein era.

Along with being a gift, sarcasm is also a medicine and the giver a doctor who needs to be careful about how much or how strong a dose the receiver can take. You don't want to piss off the world right.

I think I learnt sarcasm from my family, sometimes when I was out late, my mom would call me and ask, "I don't think you're planning to come home today, are you?" instead of "What time will you be home?", so basically I was never really asked a straight question hence by the time I grew up I had a master's degree in sarcasm.  I have it in my genes.

However, one must not confuse a sarcastic with a hater (lines can blur sometimes) but rather as a person on a mission to sharpen the grey cells of the world by quizzing them on what their words really mean, also as Taylor Swift says haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, a sarcastic's
gonna debate, debate, debate.

Which one are you? Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment